Tuesday, June 14, 2011

attraversiamo

Ok, so the title of this post has been mentioned in 40,000+ blogs all pertaining to “Eat Pray Love,” and I am now at risk of falling into some generic “best-selling book club junkie, 40-something suburban housewife, escape-my-life-through-literature” sector of the blogosphere, but here it is. Hey, it was a great book, and it is a beautiful word. So, let’s cross over…
                       
Welcome to the proactive, kick-ass new life of one Melissa Louise Johnson. Without further ado, here is a run-down of the past two years of my meager existence: college graduation, followed by the worst 8 months of my life, a quick half-hearted move to NYC, and a just-as-quick though thoroughly whole-hearted retreat from the Big Apple, the opening/operation/closing of my first entrepreneurial venture- CrabApple Market, months of unemployment and finally, my next big move: an embarkation on a little life journey I like to call “I’m moving to New Orleans to be an event planner.”

Sure, I graduated with a degree in Communications with an emphasis in Journalism. But during a semester abroad in England, by chance, I discovered the perfect career for me. I planned a very impromptu al fresco birthday brunch for a friend in St. James Park and LOVED it. Another friend took a picture of me posing in front of the food spread and tagged me in it on facebook with the caption: “future Hollywood party/wedding/gala planner.” I guess she was clairvoyant, minus the Hollywood part. I’m glad she was. So to make a long story and three years short, I planned a few parties and a couple of weddings back home in Alabama and I was hooked. I knew of a friend from New Orleans who wanted to start an event planning company, so when chance brought us together at a Mardi Gras parade in the Big Easy, we collaborated and formed NOLA BASH, our sweet little baby. Hopefully, we’ll become a huge name in the event industry and give that cute little Italian-American wedding genius, David Tutera, a run for his money. J Wish us luck!

Ok, so back to this blog. I tend to get incredibly overwhelmed by the writing process, which is probably why journalism was a poor decision on my part, but I still love it and find a great release in writing and that is why I having another go at this blogging thing. Hopefully, I’ll keep this going and entertaining. I’m also about to undertake a blog for the business. I’m probably committing to do more writing than I’m capable of, but here goes…. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment